We encourage sophomore pre-math majors interested in teaching mathematics as a profession to:
- take the Math 74 XP seminar*
- complete Math 32A, 32B, 33A, 33B, and 115A
- finish completing two of:
Physics 1B or 5B, Physics 1C or 5C, Chem 20A, Chem 20B, or Pic 10B – 97
- if you haven’t already, complete the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)** required for a CA Teaching Credential
- if you are interested in completing the Math for LA: Integrated Pathway, be sure to apply before Fall of your junior year.
Pedagogical Content Courses
Math 74XP: Mathematics and Pedagogy for Teaching Elementary Mathematics
Explore K-5 mathematics from a professional perspective. Practice effective teaching strategies for all learners. Discuss current research and standards in math education. Complete field work in a local elementary school. Prerequisite: None. This field experience counts for 20 of the 600 clinical fieldwork hours required for a CA Teaching Credential.
Click here for more information.
If you were not able to sign up for Math 73XP freshman year, you can enroll in that course this year as well. Math 73XP is only offered in the Fall.