We encourage sophomores interested in teaching mathematics as a profession who are majoring in a subject other than mathematics to:
- take the Math 74 XP* seminar
- complete Math 32B, 33A, 33B, and 115A
- if you haven’t already, complete the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)** required for a CA Teaching Credential
- if you are interested in completing the Math for LA: Integrated Pathway, be sure to apply before Fall of your junior year
Pedagogical Content Courses
Math 74XP: Mathematics and Pedagogy for Teaching Elementary Mathematics
Explore K-5 mathematics from a professional perspective. Practice effective teaching strategies for all learners. Discuss current research and standards in math education. Complete field work in a local elementary school. Prerequisite: None. This field experience counts for 20 of the 600 clinical fieldwork hours required for a CA Teaching Credential.
Click here for more information.
If you were not able to sign up for Math 73XP freshman year, you can enroll in that course this year as well. Math 73XP is only offered in the Fall.
California Basic Skills Requirement
About the CBEST:
The CBEST is a test of basic skills which all candidates applying for a CA Teaching Credential must pass. How students can satisfy the requirement:
- take the CBEST, register online at: CA Basic Educational Skills Test
- SAT (taken before March 2016) score of 500 or higher on the Critical Reading section along with score of 550 or higher on the Mathematics section
- SAT (taken after March 2016) score of 560 or higher on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section along with score of 570 or higher on the Mathematics section
- ACT score of 22 or higher on the English section along with a score of 23 or higher on the Mathematics section
- College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations: a score of 3 or higher on the College Board AP English exam and AP Calculus or AP Statistics exam