We encourage seniors interested in teaching mathematics as a profession who are majoring in a subject other than mathematics to:
Pedagogical Content Courses
About the Education Coursework
The Education coursework above is the pedagogical coursework required for a CA Teaching Credential. In addition, you will need to complete the EdTPA, a portfolio-like summative assessment. You will be guided through writing your EdTPA in these classes. Finally, the coursework includes 280 of the 600 hours of clinical fieldwork required for a CA Teaching Credential.
The Math 105AB&C coursework includes field experience that counts for 20 of the 600 clinical fieldwork hours required for a CA Teaching Credential. Prerequisites: 115A, 110A or 117, 120A or 123, and 131A.
PTE Request: Please fill out this Math 105 PTE Request Form if you do not currently satisfy the prerequisites above. For any additional questions, feel free to email Julian Rojas at email@example.com.
- If you have not already done so, please satisfy the U.S. Constitution requirement for the CA Teaching Credential by either:
1. Completing one of the following courses: Hist 13A, Hist 13B, Hist 13C, Hist 143A, Hist 143B, or Pol Sci 40
2. Passing the U.S. Constitution Test. Register for it here.
- If you have not already done so, please pass the California Basic Educational Skills Register for it here.
- Work towards satisfying the Subject Matter Competence Credential requirement requirement by obtaining a degree in Math, Applied Mathematics, or Mathematics for Teaching, completing the Math Department’s Subject Matter Program, or earn a passing score on the California Subject Exam for Teachers (CSET).
If you have questions after using our virtual counselor, please reach out to our student advisors.