We encourage juniors interested in teaching mathematics as a profession who are majoring in a subject other than mathematics to:
- take the Math 75 XP* seminar
- complete Math 117 or 110A, 123 or 120A, and 131A
- if you are working on the Math for LA: Integrated Pathway, complete Ed 107A (undergrad equivalent of 406), Ed 127 (undergrad equivalent of 407), Ed 174 A, B, & C and take Ed 409 & 425 the summer before your senior year
- if you are interested in applying for the Math for LA: Joint Math/Ed Pathway, be sure to check our website for the application deadline
pedagogical content courses
Integrated Pathway: Ed 174ABC
In Ed 174ABC you will meet other juniors planning on teaching mathematics as a profession. Each quarter of this course includes 40 hours of field experience in neighboring schools. This field experience counts for 120 of the 600 clinical fieldwork hours required for a CA Teaching Credential.
credential requirements and pathways
- If you have not already done so, please satisfy the U.S. Constitution requirement for the CA Teaching Credential by either:
1. Completing Hist 13A/B/C, Hist 151A/B, or Pol Sci 40
2. Passing the U.S. Constitution Test. Register for it here.
- Find more information on our Math for LA Teaching Credential Pathways here
- Students apply for the Joint Math Education Pathway December 1st of their Junior year!
- If you have not already done so, please pass the California Basic Educational Skills Register for it here.
- Work towards satisfying the Subject Matter Competence requirement for the CA Teaching Credential by either: completing a Math For Teaching Major, the Math Department’s Subject Matter Program, or gather more information regarding the California Subject Exam for Teachers.